FBG Project D-012
• Source: FBG-EN1907
Expansion of Towns Hotel
- Bellows Falls, VT
(Now within the town of Rockingham)
- Architect: Hollis French & Allen Hubbard
- Replacement building stands in this location
This project is noted in an 8 Nov 1902 letter in Field System along with the Garvin's Falls job.
Research indicates the work was a fourth-floor addition to the Towns Hotel, the top floors of which burned in April 1899 and was rebuilt as three stories. It was then expanded with a mansard fourth floor before being sold in February 1902 and renamed the Hotel Windham. (It then burned again in 1912 and was rebuilt yet again; then destroyed in a fire in 1933 and wholly rebuilt yet once more. This building still stands but retains none of FBG's work.)
Hollis French was a fellow graduate of the English High School with Frank Gilbreth in 1885.
- Letter cited in Field System.
- Original building rebuilt in 1912 and replaced in 1933.
- From pp34-35 of Field System:
- Hotel Windham sometime after 1902 expansion by FBG and before 1912 fire: