FBG Project U-070
• Source: JDG-1
Warehouse for BF Goodrich Co
- Akron, OH
- Contract: Oct, 1906
- Construction complete: Dec, 1906
- Engineers: Osborne Engineering Co (Cleveland, OH)
- May be standing and in adapted use
This was an exceptionally heavy-duty reinforced concrete building with brick curtain walls, designed to hold either 500 or 1,000 pounds per square foot live load for storage of heavy manufactured goods, for the B.F. Goodrich Rubber Co of Akron, OH.
As with the Yale & Towne plant, the Goodrich plant reached immense size and number of buildings before being abandoned into the 1970s. While many buildings still stand and many are being repurposed, locating and identifying the FBG project would take considerable work with available company and city resources.
- Multiple trade notices
- Unknown. No attempt has been made to match the original layout of the BF Goodrich plant with the few buildings (and 1-1/2 smokestacks) that remain. However, identification of the building on the era postcards leads to a match of a building in the same position in Google aerial view that appears to be the FBG project building, at least doubled in length at some time but with otherwise characteristic features.
- Google aerial view — the building at center left, with a white upper structure, appears to be the FBG warehouse, extended in length to the right (west).
- Google Street View — 520 S. Main St.
- Real Estate Record & Building Guide, 20 Oct 1906;
Duplicate clip in Building Trade Employers' Association Bulletin, Dec 1906
also Building Age, January 1907:
- Akron Beacon-Journal, 3 Jan 1907:
- The India Rubber World, 1 Feb 1907:
- Postcards, ca. 1910s and 1920s. The building at front center in the first card closely resembles the FBG project. The same building is at left front in the second card, set back, and apparently extended in length: