FBG Project D-025
• Source: JDG-1
6-story Warehouse for John Duer & Sons
- Baltimore, MD
- Contract: May 1904
- Architects: Wyatt & Nolting
- Demolished, date unknown
- In February 1904, Baltimore was struck by a massive fire that destroyed or damaged some 2,500 buildings. It was one of several “great fires” in the era that led to greater use of steel, brick and concrete “fireproof” construction. FBG was on the ground within days, securing contracts, but in the end he would build only four projects there (in 1904 or any other time).
This project was a 6-story warehouse at 36-38 South Charles Street, for John Duer & Sons, a longtime maker of upholstery tools, furniture fittings and other home hardware goods. The building no longer exists.
Again, “warehouse” seems to be a general name for a mixed-use building.
Multiple local notices.
Demolished, date unknown.
- Baltimore Sun, 21 May 1904: “FBG awarded contract.”
- Baltimore Sun, 26 May 1904:
- Baltimore Sun, 29 May 1904: “FBG is erecting a platform… a portion of the property will be taken by the city for widening Charles Avenue… the platform is for storage and will not block the street.”
- Baltimore Daily Record, 2 Jun 1904: “John Duer & Sons. six-story warehouse. 36 and 38 South Charles Street. Builder, F.B. Gilbreth. Cost $84,597.” [clip not verified]
- Baltimore Sun, 4 Jul 1904: call for ”25 first-class men.“
- Baltimore Sun, 30 Dec 1904: