FBG Project D-032
• Source: FBG-Sweet's
Hydropower Dam for Walter Baker & Co Ltd
- Milton, MA
- Aug 1904
- Engineers: Dean & Main (Boston)
- Probably rebuilt in 1950s
This project was a concrete dam, built as part of a power overhaul for a noted chocolate maker.
A new powerhouse, probably coal-fired, was built the next year with two 200-foot smokestacks and three boilers to supplement this upgraded hydro-power system.
- A dam has stood at this spot since 1639, but the current concrete structure is believed to be a 1950s replacement for FBG's work.
- This is one of many dams in the northeast under consideration for removal, to return rivers to a more natural state for fish and wildlife. Many dams built by towns and companies for power and mill use, sometimes no more than a mile apart, have been demolished in recent decades.
- Google Maps aerial view. The brick buildings in view are almost entirely those of the Walter Baker plant, mostly converted to condos and mixed use.
* Engineering Record, 6 Aug 1904: